Friday, April 11, 2014

Review: The Haunted by Jessica Verday

Summary from Goodreads:

An impossible truth. An impossible love.
After a summer spent reclaiming her sanity and trying to forget the boy she fell in love with--the boy who must not exist, cannot exist, because she knows that he is dead--Abbey returns to Sleepy Hollow, ready to leave the ghosts of her past behind. She throws herself into her schoolwork, her perfume-making, and her friendship with Ben, her cute and funny lab partner, who just might be her ticket to getting over Caspian once and for all.

But Abbey can never get over Caspian, and Caspian has no choice but to return to her side, for Caspian is a Shade, and Abbey is his destiny. They are tied not only to each other, but also to the town of Sleepy Hollow, and to the famous legend that binds their fates--a legend whose dark truths they are only beginning to guess....




My Review:




Since I recivied Jessica Verday's latest novel, Of Monsters and Madness , for review I thought it was about time I finally finished The Hollow series. I read the first book in the series last June so I was a little foggy about the details, but it was easy to get back into the series. I'm a fan of the Sleepy Hollow, the classic novel and the various retellings of it and this series it one of them I really enjoy. I suggest checking out the first novel, The Hollow.

One of the most interesting part to me in the series is the main character Abbey's perfume making and the way the author describes it. I wish I could buy Abbey's perfumes, or at least try and make them for myself. But it is a expensive pursuit, lol.

Some people complain about the lack of action, too much of Abbey's daily things, but since I really like the character I was not bored with her musings, plus I love journal style writing. The reason why I only gave the novel four stars, more like four point five, was because I wanted a little more creepiness, which says something about me. :)

I would suggest this series for those who enjoy Gothic style writing, I know I will be picking up Jessica Verday's future novels and finishing The Hollow series.

My Rating:

4 Out of 5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment